ABHL Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ABHL mid season report cards

3 posters

Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty ABHL mid season report cards

Post  R.Rishaug Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Shockers (2-6-0) – 6th place-33 Goals For -50 Goals Against

Forwards Grade: B-
A B minus grade is earned here as the Shockers boasted two of the highest scoring forwards in the ABHL.
Easily would’ve been an A here if they potted a few more goals. Even with a the two prolific scorers the Shockers managed to be the lowest scoring team in the first half of the season. While their goaltending didn’t help being the lowest producing team also won’t win you many games.

Defense Grade: D+
The Shockers defense is a tough one to gauge as they were part of the second most goals being allowed in the ABHL, only allowing 1 less(50) goal than Cash Only(51). For this reason they earned a poor grade, and was not graded even worse as you are only as good as your goaltender.

Goaltending Grade : F-
And the first F has been handed out early in the mid-season report cards. With a record of 2-6 you need not look much further than between the pipes for this team. Week 1 goalie sub played un enthused and seemingly set the tone for a Shockers squad. Coming off a vacation it was understandably tough for Hoac Tang to jump back in the mix of things, but with a GAA of 6.33 this grade is well deserved. Also probably a large reason for the moves made by Hon Yee.

GM Grade: B
This grade can easily change to an A+ once the second half gets going. It took a while for the Shockers GM to pull the trigger but looks like he has had enough. A completely revamped yellow team, we’ll see if these moves pay off in the near future. He has managed to stay cap compliant and stockpiled a large amount of draft picks. Also was able to lure a highly touted free agent to don the Yellow. The B grade takes all of this into account and should only get better.

Overall Grade: D-
The slow start and being the basement protectors of the ABHL all add up to this borderline failing grade. The Shockers GM knew it was sinking ship and before it could smash into an iceberg, the party was blown up and retooled for a final surge. The final season report card will probably be the most interesting one for this Shockers team.

This R.Rishaug reporting for TaSN - Edmonton. Stay tuned for the Roosters report card next.

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty Re: ABHL mid season report cards

Post  Dano Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 pm

+1

Great read!!

Dano

Back to top Go down

Post  R.Rishaug Tue May 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks Doood mroe to come!

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty Roosters Mid Season Report Card

Post  R.Rishaug Wed May 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Roosters (5-3-0) – 3rd place-43 Goals For -35 Goals Against

Forwards Grade: B
A team that was projected to struggle greatly to pot goals has turned many heads in the ABHL. With standout Joseph Florendo amassing a huge 15 pts in 6 games this forward group has done its job. Their 43 goals is 2nd in the ABHL and compliments their stingy defense well. The acquisition of Stanley Chan will look to better their 2nd half great here.

Defense Grade: B+
Currently tied for second in the league with 35goals against, this Rooster squad has been known to be stingy. This defense corps contributed a large part in handing the SHJB their only two losses of the season. The B plus grade wasn’t any higher as they truly feed off their goaltender. If their goaltender isn’t on their game the same can be said for their D. A bit more consistency from both and you have yourselves a great formula for a championship contender.

Goaltending Grade : B-
One word: Inconsistency. Roosters goaltending has been either been top notch or down right horrid. Week 3 was the latter, and the Roosters suffered because of it. Fortunately David Nguyen has been good more often than bad. The Chain Gang and Shockers found that out in week 4 as he allowed 5 goals and earned a POW nominee. I R.Rishaug truly believe this team’s success will ride greatly on the Goaltenders shoulders.

GM Grade: B+
Right after week 4 of the ABHL the Roosters GM made waves in the ABHL. Acquiring David Luong, Stan Chan, Steve Lai and signing Paolo Jimenez. The Roosters team has arguably gotten better through the trades hes managed and did well during the entry draft as his team has one of the deepest rosters in the ABHL. While it was more the play of his team than the moves made up to this point, I believe this GM has done a solid job up to this point.

Overall Grade: B+
Standing third and being a mere win away from 1st place, the Roosters have put together a great first half. The blip on the radar in week 3 was the only reason a big fat A was not awarded here. A steady dose of offense and defense added with their new players will make for a successful 2nd half of the ABHL season. They are my prediction to take down the first ever ABHL Championship.

This is R.Rishaug reporting for Edmonton TaSN. Stay tuned for the next installment as the Flying Tigers will receive their grade.

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty Flying Tigers Mid Season Report Card

Post  R.Rishaug Thu May 12, 2011 12:28 am

Flying Tigers (3-5-0) – 4th place- 41 Goals For -40 Goals Against

Totalling 41 goals this team hasnt scratched the surface of their potential. This is the only team with the same forward group as when this all began. While Bernie Chu has been the leader of this team, he hasnt had a whole lot of help. The one surprise has been Kevin Chan he has notched a POW nomination and 14pts in 8 games is solid. The Tigers lower grade is due to the lack of depth. 2nd round draft pick Gene Carandang is far too talented to have a mediocre 12 pts in 8 games. A little more support and the grade wouldve been much higher.

Defense Grade: C-
Their 40goals against is good for 3rd worst in the league. That combined with a lack of offensive production makes for the poor grade. These grades may seem harsh but i do feel it is fitting. 1st round draft pick has been solid defensively, but needs to be an impact player for this squad to flourish. Danh Le still seems to be rounding into form and looks to have a productive second half.

Goaltending Grade : C+
Goaltending has been a roller coaster for this team. Tigers goalie John Vu has been two different goalies in net, after a rough start and some rededication, he has proven he can be the number 1 keeper the Tigers believed he was. They had a decent week from their goalie sub in week 4, but like the rest of the ABHL teams they'll need their goalie to be better.

GM Grade: D
A low grade her has been given as the Tigers arent exactly tearing up the ABHL and their GM hasnt made a move. His drafting has proven enough to have him team stay afloat. Although the Tigers GM did want to sign a few of the highly touted free agents he was unsuccessful. If this was a grade for scouting he may be given an A+ as he's brought in Tang Ly and goalie sub Vincent. WIth only 3 weeks left look for this GM to make a move for the stretch run.

Overall Grade: C+
A slow start contributes greatly to this grade. The tigers have won 3/4 and are looking more cohesive. I believe this team still has a lot to prove and clinging to that 4th playoff isnt where they want to be. A few key adds and this team definetly could be dangerous. This is why it is a mid season report card and the Tigers get a C+ here.

This R.Rishaug reporting for TaSN - Edmonton. Stay tuned for the Chain Gang report card next. .

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty Chain Gang Mid Season Report Card

Post  R.Rishaug Thu May 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Chain Gang  (6-2-0) – 1st place- 40 Goals For -30 Goals Against

Forwards Grade: C+
With a total 40 goals for, this forward group isn’t quite getting it done. Although they have undergone a lot of changes they aren’t lighting it up consistently at all. In the two losses this team suffered they only managed a total of 3 goals. NO team can win with performances like that. Some slack has to be cut due to injuries as Felix Wong is still rounding into form from an early season injury. For a first place team this offense definitely needs to pick up the slack. With Kelly Pham coming back from a personal leave they should have the legs to turn the ship around.

Defense Grade: A-
A lean 30 goals is what this team has allowed. A whopping 9 goals came from the Roosters in one game. This was a one time occurrence and inflated the GAA immensely. Overall the defense has been rock solid for this team in the first half. It is arguably different after the blockbuster trade that sent defensive stalwart Bryan Lee and good two way forward Jason Lee to Cash Only. Ricky Gregorio was also MIA when the Roosters laid the smack down on CG. Still a force to be reckoned with CG defense receives a stellar grade here.

Goaltending Grade : A
If there has been anything consistent with the Chain Gang, it’s the play of Nick Yatco between the pipes. He has the honor of receiving two player of the week nominations and leads the league with a GAA of 3.57. He’s posted 4 two goal games and each of those led to victories. As mentioned earlier the one blowup against the Roosters can be forgotten, but if history repeats itself again the grade of A will quickly head south. Its no secret that the Chain Gang will have to continue to improve in front of their all star goalie in order to stay atop the ABHL.

GM Grade: B-
This was a tough one to grade overall. Because if you grade solely on trades then this grade would be lower. The Chain Gang started out on fire and seemed unstoppable, the 4-0 start quickly led to cap issues and forced GM Felix Wong to make a deal. While the deal was more than fair, the results haven’t been as desired. The CG has gone a mediocre 2-2 in its last 4 games. Time will tell if this team is merely a victim of bad luck or needs more time to build chemistry. I personally enjoy the cutthroat ways of this GM, as he was rumored to have dealt forward David Luong due to a lack of commitment. While he has denied that this is the case, one can definitely argue differently. B- is a fitting grade here.

Overall Grade: A-
Although they’ve faltered over the last few weeks, one still has to respect that they are atop the ABHL standings. In a “what have you done for me lately” kind of world, everyone seems to cling onto the fact that they are just .500 in the last 4 games. I Ryan Rishaug still believe that the whole picture must be taken into account. With their forwards healthy and commitment restored, this team is still a force in the ABHL. Whether they have what it takes to rebound from the spanking they took last week still remains to be seen.

This is R.Rishaug reportin from Edmonton –TaSN. Next up the attention focuses on Cash Only

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty Cash Only Mid Season Report Card

Post  R.Rishaug Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Cash Only  (2-5-1) – 5th place- 35 Goals For -51 Goals Against

A gritty group indeed. They’ve been a forward bunch who have been through a lot this season already. Losing star forward Ryan Ho was the start of a tough first half. Since losing him they’ve gone 0-4-1. A tell tale sign he is the backbone of the team. Some may ask why a B- here, well Ill tell you why, they are a tough bunch to play against and have done their share scoring goals. Cash Only forward Jason Lee is having a stellar year and is amongst the top 5 in scoring. Forwards Will Chan and Curtis Mah add to as deep of a top 3 as there is in the ABHL. The results aren’t quite there, but talent wise once they get Ryan Ho back they are top notch.

Defense Grade: D-
While the forwards got a solid grade, the D isn’t so lucky here. A whopping 51 goals against and not a standout offensively from the back end makes for a poor grade. At times this team gets torn up allowing over 6.5 goals per game. While they haven’t been the greatest between the pipes, anytime an opponent notches 13 goals on your squad something isn’t right. Now mind you that was right after a difficult injury and before Bryan Lee arrived. Even so teams have still been able to pad the stats with 10 & 5 goal outbursts. Bottom line the D has to step up before any cheques are cashed to build the bankroll of this Cash Only squad.

Goaltending Grade : D+
As mentioned earlier a league worst 51 goals against you’d think would solely be a fail for the goalie. While there are no stats for shots against, I am certain this team is the highest in that department. Anytime your goalie is facing that much plastic, he can only do so much. Alex Hoang has a brutal 6.07 GAA and really hasn’t been his stellar self. He has had his fair share of tough games, but he shows the fight of a winner each and every outing. A warrior can only take so much lashings before finally caving. Don’t judge by just the grade though, as I believe this area for Cash Only can be much better.

GM Grade: A-
After suffering the loss of forward Ryan Ho, he himself knew he had to make moves to keep his team competitive. While the record doesn’t show they’ve turned it around, I do believe he has made moves to improve his team for what its worth. A huge sign and trade deal landed him highly touted free agent Curtis Mah. With a little bit of luck with the buy out of Jimmy Phung, Ryan has managed his team so there is tons of cap space for a heroic return to the lineup. A bit more time will bring great dividends as Cash Only hasn’t seen its best days yet. Plus he has the same name as my self, therefore A-(jokes).

Overall Grade: C
So with the most inconsistent report thus far, Cash Only gets an overall grade of an average C. A few wins will get them right back into the thick of things, and a few losses will do just the opposite. On paper they have a great squad, but its what happens on the field that counts. A much needed shot in the arm would be provided if Ryan Ho returns healthy. A few too many “if’s” in the equation for now to give any better a grade. Cash Only will make some noise in the second half, you heard it here.

This is R.Rishaug reportin from Edmonton –TaSN. Last but not least is SHJB.

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

ABHL mid season report cards  Empty SHJB Mid Season Report Card

Post  R.Rishaug Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 pm

SHJB (5-2-1) – 2nd place- 49 Goals For -35 Goals Against

Forwards Grade: A+
Undoubtedly the best offense in the leg at the moment. They are first in goals for with a whopping 49 goals on the season. It all starts with league leading scorer Keith Mah. Having only played 6 games he’s notched a uncanny 22 points. While he is headlining for SHJB, there are many great support acts for this show, Daniel Mah has been a quiet solid leader and Wilson Man has seemingly brought the heat after passed on by so many GM’s. Garvin Mah has also strung together a solid bunch of games and is notching a ton of goals. Also acquiring Wilson Le cant hurt as this team starts its 2nd half. An easy A+ grade here. SHJB once touted a rebuild team has definitely earned its respect of fellow ABHLers.

Defense Grade: B-
While the team has allowed a meager 35 goals against, I believe this is overshadowed by the strong offense the team brings. With such a strong possession game their forwards play, a lot of the pressure is taken off this defensive squad. They haven’t been bad, but they don’t deserve the same grades as their offensive mates. I believe as the season goes on and teams start to understand the SHJB way, the defense will need to be strong in order for the team to succeed.

Goaltending Grade : C+
Once again like the defense situation I believe the offense is the core of the team. Former SHJB goalie Dan Sune has been decent when he has been there to play, unfortunately this hasn’t been consistent enough. A 4.53 GAA is nothing to admire, nor is it anything to criticize. Its just average. I mean I could’ve put my 8 yr old brother in net if my team scored 13 goals as well. A new look in net for the second half will definitely be an interesting story. Will SHJB continue to run and gun and out score teams? Or will they breathe new life into goalie Hoac Tang, and become a all around solid team? Time will tell.

GM Grade: A-
SHJB GM Daniel Mah has done a great job with this team. It started with his draft day trade moving down in the draft to save some cap space. While he has self handicapped his dealing options, he has managed the team well. Knowing Steve Wong and Keith Mah are the two untouchables it didn’t allow SHJB to make any blockbuster deals. Acquiring Wilson Le, and fan favorite Victor Trac has only solidified this teams depth. The next three weeks before the trade deadline will be interesting to see what this GM does.

Overall Grade: A
The best overall grade in the ABHL. Well deserved as it goes with the momentum, the winning, the team chemistry this team has shown. Contrary to what my colleague John Lu says, these guys ought to be #1 in the power rankings. Do keep in mind that these grades are based on the first half and SHJB will have to continue to succeed when it matters. A new goalie a different forward will add to the journey of this franchise.

This is R.Rishaug reportin from Edmonton –TaSN. Hope everyone enjoyed their grades and will strive to improve on them if they aren’t satisfied.

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

Post  gc Fri May 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Yo Rishaug, get my name right. It's Chow not Mah. I'm treated like family but I am not a Mah. Your reporting skills are well admired but c'mon man, get the name right.

A great read regardless of the minor error!
gc
gc

Back to top Go down

Post  R.Rishaug Fri May 13, 2011 10:25 pm

I apologize for the screw up, but it looks the ABHL has terminated my services as a result. TSN fulltime it looks like! Thanks it was a blast.

R.Rishaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down